“Affiliates” means companies related by common ownership or control.
“Aggregated Information” means information about all of our users or specific groups or categories of users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user.
“Data Controller” means AppyGuide, the company responsible for the use and processing of Personal Information.
“Third Parties” means companies or persons not related by common ownership or control (i.e. non-affiliates) or other unrelated individuals. Third Parties can be financial and non-financial companies, or persons other than you and AppyGuide.
“Personal Information” means information (which may include sensitive information) relating to a living individual who is or can be identified either from that information or from that information in conjunction with other information that is in, or is likely to come into, the possession of the Data Controller.
1. Information we collect
There are three general categories of information we collect.
1.1 Information You Give Us.
1.1.1 Information that is necessary for the use of the AppyGuide Platform.
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the AppyGuide Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an AppyGuide Account, we require certain information such as, but not limited to your name, email address, and country of residence. For Storytellers, we also require information such as place of work or study and occupation.
- Profile Information. To use certain features of the AppyGuide Platform (such as reviewing a Story or creating and publishing a Story), we may ask you to provide additional information such as a profile photo or a biography:
- If you are registered as a Storyteller, then certain parts of your profile like your profile picture, first name and first letter of your last name (or a nickname you create), place of work (E.g. university) and short biography are a part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- If you are registered as a Traveller, then certain parts of your profile like your profile picture, first name and first letter of your last name and country of residence are a part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Payment Information. To use certain features of the AppyGuide Platform (such as publishing a Story or purchasing a Story), we may require you to provide certain financial information (like your bank account (or other information relating to Payment Services depending on your country of residence) or to log into your Apple Pay or Google Pay accounts) in order to facilitate the processing of payments (via AppyGuide Payments).
- Communications with AppyGuide. When you communicate with AppyGuide, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
1.1.2 Information you choose to give us.
You may choose to provide us with additional personal information in order to obtain a better user experience when using AppyGuide Platform. This additional information will be processed based on your consent.
- Additional Storyteller’s Profile Information. If you are registered as a Storyteller, you may choose to provide additional information as part of your AppyGuide profile (such as field of work or study and a personal description/short biography). Some of this information as mentioned in paragraph 1.1.1 is part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Address Book Contact Information. You may choose to import your address book contacts or enter your contacts’ information manually to access certain features of the AppyGuide Platform, like inviting them to use AppyGuide.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your AppyGuide Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the AppyGuide Platform.
1.1.3 Information that is necessary for the use of the Payment Services.
The Payments Data Controller needs to collect the following information, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable law (such as anti-money laundering regulations). Without it, you will not be able to use Payment Services:
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services, the Payments Data Controller requires certain financial information (like your bank account and full address) or for you to log into your Apple Pay or Google Pay account in order to process payments and comply with applicable law.
- Identity Verification and Other Information. If you are a Storyteller, the Payments Data Controller may require identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license) or other authentication information, your date of birth, your address, email address, phone number and other information in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and to comply with applicable law.
1.2 Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the AppyGuide Platform and Payment Services.
When you use the AppyGuide Platform and the Payment Services, we automatically collect information, including personal information, about the services you use and how you use them. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the AppyGuide Platform and Payment Services.
- Geo-location Information. When you use certain features of the AppyGuide Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. AppyGuide may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the AppyGuide Platform such as the pages or content you view, your searches for Stories, purchases you have made, and other actions on the AppyGuide Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use the AppyGuide Platform, even if you have not created an AppyGuide Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the AppyGuide Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the AppyGuide Platform.
- Payment Transaction Information. AppyGuide Payments collects information related to your payment transactions through the AppyGuide Platform, including
- For Travellers: the payment instrument used (Apple Pay or Google Pay), date and time of a transaction, and payment amount
- For Storytellers: PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details depending on your country of residence.
This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and AppyGuide Payments and to allow the provision of the Payment Services.
1.3 Information We Collect from Third Parties.
AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments may collect information, including personal information that others provide about you when they use the AppyGuide Platform and the Payment Services, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the AppyGuide Platform and the Payment Services. We do not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your personal data, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to us should be directed to such third parties.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your AppyGuide Account with a third party service (e.g. Facebook), the third party service may send us information such as your registration and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Your Ratings and Reviews. If you are a registered as a Storyteller, and someone has rated your Published Story or written a review of your Story, it will be published on your AppyGuide public profile page.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results (with your consent where required) or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the AppyGuide Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
2. How we use information we collect
We use, store, and process information, including personal information, about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the AppyGuide Platform, create and maintain a trusted and safer environment and comply with our legal obligations.
2.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the AppyGuide Platform.
- Enable you to access and use the AppyGuide Platform.
- Operate, protect, improve, and optimize the AppyGuide Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) for fraud detection and prevention, and (ii) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
- To operate, protect, improve, and optimize the AppyGuide Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Story suggestions or ranking search results), we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the AppyGuide Platform, your search and purchase history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the AppyGuide Platform.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in improving the AppyGuide Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
2.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your background or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Terms of Service and other policies.
- In connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the AppyGuide Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the AppyGuide Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the AppyGuide Platform if such processes detect a Member or activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the AppyGuide Platform, other Members, or third parties.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in protecting the AppyGuide Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws
2.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about AppyGuide or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google). You have the possibility to refuse promotional emails by using the “unsubscribe” option provided in each of our emails.
- Personalize, measure, and improve our advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by AppyGuide or its third party partners.
- Conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with the AppyGuide Platform, information obtained from third parties, and your search and purchase history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you.
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by changing your notification settings within your AppyGuide Account.
2.4 How the Payments Data Controller uses the Information Collected.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Detect and prevent fraud, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
- Enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies.
- With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
The Payments Data Controller processes this information given its legitimate interest in improving the Payment Services and its users’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable laws.
3. Sharing and disclosure
3.1 With Your Consent.
Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including personal information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your AppyGuide Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by AppyGuide partners or third parties.
3.2 Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The AppyGuide Platform lets you publish information, including personal information, that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your nickname or first name and first letter of your last name, your biography, your photo, place of work or study, etc. are publicly visible to others.
- Published Story pages are publicly visible and include information such as the audio you recorded, the Storyteller’s public profile photo, and any additional information that you provided to create a Story.
- After purchasing a story, Travellers may write reviews and rate Stories. Reviews of Stories you created are a part of your public profile page.
- If you submit content in a public forum or social media post, or use a similar feature on the AppyGuide Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Based on our legitimate interest to promote the AppyGuide Platform we may display parts of the AppyGuide Platform (e.g., your Story or your public profile page) on sites operated by AppyGuide’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs. If your Stories or public profile pages are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
Information you share publicly on the AppyGuide Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your information.
3.3 Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights.
AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against AppyGuide, (iii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service, the Payment Terms or other agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of AppyGuide, its employees, its Members, or members of the public.
These disclosures may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations, for the protection of your or another person’s vital interests or for the purposes of our or a third party’s legitimate interest in keeping the AppyGuide Platform secure, preventing harm or crime, enforcing or defending legal rights, or preventing damage.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon AppyGuide’s property, its Members and the AppyGuide Platform. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
3.4 Service Providers.
AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments uses a variety of third party service providers to help us provide services related to the AppyGuide Platform and the Payment Services. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
AppyGuide and the AppyGuide Payments will need to share your information, including personal information, in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you.
3.5 Corporate Affiliates.
To enable or support us in providing the AppyGuide Platform and the Payment Services, we may share your information, including personal information, within our corporate family of companies (both financial and non-financial entities) that are related by common ownership or control.
3.6 Social Media Platforms.
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services or the AppyGuide Platform. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be in your interest.
The social media platforms with which we may share your personal data are not controlled or supervised by AppyGuide. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal data should be directed to such provider.
Please note that you may, at any time ask AppyGuide to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to [email protected] with subject line: Opt-Out.
For any jurisdiction in which we facilitate the Collection and Remittance of Taxes, Storytellers and Travellers expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to store, transfer and disclose data and other information relating to them or to their transactions and applicable VAT, Sales and other Taxes, including, but not limited to, personally identifiable information such as Storyteller’s or Traveller’s name, country of residence, transaction dates and amounts, contact information and similar information, to the relevant Tax Authority.
3.8 Business Transfers.
3.9 Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymised information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
4. Other important information
4.1 Analysing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyse your communications on the AppyGuide Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyse messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyse messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyse your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on AppyGuide’s legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws and our Terms, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of our services.
4.2 Linking Third Party Accounts.
You may link your AppyGuide Account with your account at a third party social networking service. Your contacts on these third party services are referred to as “Friends.” When you create this link:
- some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your AppyGuide Account profile;
- your activities on the AppyGuide Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the AppyGuide Platform and/or that third party site;
- a link to your public profile on that third party social networking service may be included in your AppyGuide public profile;
- other AppyGuide users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
- other AppyGuide users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service;
- the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and the publication and display of information that you provide to AppyGuide through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the AppyGuide Platform and the third party site.
We only collect your information from linked third party accounts to the extent necessary to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, or to ensure that we comply with applicable laws, or with your consent.
4.3 Google Maps/Earth.
5. Third party partners and integrations
The AppyGuide Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). AppyGuide doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, AppyGuide, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
6. Your rights
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section before your applicable AppyGuide Data Controller and Payments Data Controller by sending an email to [email protected] Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
6.1 Managing Your Information.
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. If you have chosen to connect your AppyGuide Account to a third-party application, like Facebook, you can change your settings and remove permission for the app by changing your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
6.2 Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information.
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information concerning you (and which you cannot update yourself within your AppyGuide Account).
6.3 Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
6.4 Data Retention and Erasure.
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. If you no longer want us to use your information to provide the AppyGuide Platform to you, you can request that we erase your personal information and close your AppyGuide Account. Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an AppyGuide Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that AppyGuide Account to prevent that Member from opening a new AppyGuide Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews or Ratings) may continue to be publicly visible on the AppyGuide Platform, even after your AppyGuide Account is cancelled. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database.
- Because we maintain the AppyGuide Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
6.5 Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing.
Where you have provided your consent to the processing of your personal information by AppyGuide you may withdraw your consent at any time by sending a communication to AppyGuide specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of AppyGuide override your own.
6.6 Objection to Processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing AppyGuide and/or AppyGuide Payments will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, at any time ask AppyGuide to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
6.7 Lodging Complaints.
You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities carried out by AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments before the competent data protection authorities.
7. Operating globally
California Privacy Rights
California law permits Members who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those third parties. See the “Contact” section for where to send such requests. AppyGuide and AppyGuide Payments do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without your prior consent. Accordingly, you can prevent disclosure of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes by withholding consent.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your AppyGuide Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your AppyGuide Account, please contact us following the instructions in the Contact Us section below.
9. Data concerning children
The AppyGuide Platform is meant for adults and children over 13 years old. We ask you to refrain from creating an account or transmitting personal data for children under 13.
11. Contact us